Then it turns out you’ve got a lot in common with Democrats.  At Commentary, Jonathan Tobin breaks down a recent Gallup Poll showing that 22 percent of Americans won’t vote for a Mormon:

Still, in an era when religious pluralism is an unquestioned element of American culture, it is somewhat baffling that Mormons remain the object of hate. Some may put it down to the rigid beliefs of conservative evangelicals who think Mormons are not Christians, but considering the rude treatment the Mormons have gotten on both Broadway and HBO, it must be considered that some sophisticated liberals may be among the prejudiced 22 percent Gallup has discovered. Indeed, the survey says 27 percent of Democrats said they would not vote for a Mormon as opposed to only 18 percent of Republicans and 19 percent of Independents. All of which goes to show when it comes to religious bias, so-called liberals may turn out to be less tolerant than conservatives.

This is unquestionably true.  Secular leftists are often quite religious in their zeal to attack traditional values, and I’d say that they have Mormons in their crosshairs in large part because they’re quite effective in defending our culture.  After all, there’s only 6 million Mormons in America, yet the media Left — from HBO to PBS to Broadway — has spent much of the last two election cycles flailing away at the LDS church.

The secular Left hates Mormons because they see the LDS church as a part of the same Judeo-Christian tradition we belong to; the same Judeo-Christian tradition they so despise.  And you know what?  The Left is right, evangelicals who shun Mormons are wrong, and we’re all in this together.

39 Responses to If You’re an Evangelical and Don’t Like Mormons . . .

• J L Fuller says:

We don’t agree with anyone 100% of the time I suppose. But we don’t have to choose between hating and not hating. It is perfectly OK to just disagree and like the person too. If it ever comes to the point when you can find nothing positive in the other person then you have to worry – about yourself.

1. amataga tiafala says:

Unfortunately, being a Christian to LDS is being a Believer and a Follower of Christ, which they try to live and emulate daily, but their Other so called Christian Brothers/Sisters are denying that right and effort to be like the Savior. The only individual who has the right to tell the Mormons or any other people that they are not Christians is Jesus Himself.

• J L Fuller says:

As a Mormon I don’t get all tangled up in the weeds with this much anymore. We all learn and grow at different rates. Some friends will likely never accept our theology, in this life anyway. :)

• john says:

Heck, Muslims believe Jesus existed. But niether group believes he is the son of God. So, while you are baking up your Universalist cake you can throw them in too! Isn’t this swell! We hate a black liberal democrat so much that we are willing to call brother those who believe they can become like God? I seem to remember reading about a certain angel who believed that… things didn’t go so well for him. Let’s not trade the Kingdom for an election.

• Sarah says:

What do you mean John?

The 1st Article of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-days Saints reads, “We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.”

Best regards.

• Mark says:

You’re a moron, John. A moron who has no idea what he is talking about. A moron who in his zeal to follow Christ, is not acting Christ-like at all:(

2. Scott Stenson says:

I am glad that David points out that HBO and Broadway have produced material that is counterproductive, undesirable, and misleading. I sincerely hope that we can work together to make America a better place to live. As Christians, we need to enlarge the circle of understanding and go to work together. We are going to need to lean on each other from time to time while fighting the good fight.

3. ccr says:

My favorite part……….

Let’s unite on our country and our freedoms and the right to worship …… or we will find ourselves in a sad situation.

4. hongshen says:

This is nonsense. You want to be together with Mormons? They are heading to Hell, because they are heresies!

As a conservative Christian, I hate Mormon teachings. Mormons are hater of God. The y pervert God’s Truth. Period.

• Rodney Jackson says:

As a conservative Mormon, a believer and follower of Christ striving to follow His example as best I can, I am struggling to understand where your hate fits in His teachings. I have a second cheek on my face and am turning it should you need to release more frustration. I can take it, because He did for me.

To all those that are so kind and gracious to “us” – THANK YOU!

As for who is heading to hell, I am aware of only one Judge of that.

And to clarify any possible confusion, I love God with all my heart and pray I may be accused of such when I am finally called Home.

God bless you, our families, this country, our soldiers and anyone that supports the cause of freedom!

• RosaMaria Bejarano says:

Dear Brother Hongshen, I feel you are speaking ignorantly from the real facts about the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I hope you have the chance to visit our church, or mingle with people of our faith. We are not perfect but we try to emulate our Savior Jesus Christ. May the Lord bless you and your family.

• john says:

It does seem that this board is frequented by many more LDS than Evangelicals (judging from the comments). I sincerely ask any LDS church member to reconcile their belief that they may become gods of their own kingdoms with any of the teachings in the old or new testament. The only mention I can find of anyone wanting equal footing with God is in the origin of Satan. I do not hate Mormons, I strongly disagree with their beliefs and find suspicious any group of “christians” who claim that “we are all in this together”. Christians aspire to enter the Kingdom and worship at the feet of God – not to become “god-like”. Our goals are radically different, theologically opposed, and we are clearly not “all in this together”.

• Sarah says:

John, we are the children of God and as children we are heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ. (Romans 8:16)

We will all be reurrected and will enter into (not receive) a kingdom of glory. (1 Corinthians 15:20-28, 35, 38-42.)

Even the Savior was condemned for blasphemy, though He was the Son of God and His reply, “Is it not written in your law ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; say ye of Him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?” (John 10:33-36 and Psalms 82:6)

Best regards.

• Sarah says:

One additional scripture to go with the one in Corinthians is John 14:2. “In my Father’s house are many mansions.”

• Sarah says:

John, there is mention in the Doctrine and Covenants the possibility of inheriting kingdoms, etc and shall be gods. (Doctrine and Covenants 132:19-20.) Yet, as in 1 Corinthians 15:27-28, as the Savior shall be subject to God, the Father, so shall we be.

• Mike Tebow says:

You hate hongshen? Weren’t you taught to love and let God do the judging? Or was that not in your bible? Sounds like you are reading the Koran and not the bible…

5. Nate says:

Hongshen…….I really feel badly for any Evangelical “Christian” that becomes religiously Anti-Mormon. It tells me first and foremost that you don’t truly understand what we believe and makes me question who you really are following. I don’ t intend this to be mean spirited at all. It is just very hard for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to constantly be told we aren’t Christians and are going to hell, etc.
    We definitely don’t believe that about you.
    This fight we have on our hands at this time should not be believer against believer. Even if the doctrine differs, and may differ greatly as in our case. We all still believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our personal Savior. Should that not be enough common ground to launch defense and offense together against the true adversaries out there ?
    We really want to work with you. Remember Prop 8 in CA? That was an excellent model that should continue. We will keep fighting the good fight for our Families, Country, Religious Freedoms and our God. You don’ t have to believe exactly like us to be part of the many similar efforts that are sure to come our way.

6. Rick Schow says:

EFM folks are among my favorite allies and friends for some very obvious reasons. Yes, we ARE fighting the “good fight” for traditional families….for our children…for our country! Others out there pose the question “how does my same-sex marriage impact your marriage”? Seems they are totally oblivious to who will REALLY be impacted …namely my children and grandchildren who will be faced with yet another of Satan’s evil choices should society accept and institutionalize this evil practice.

7. Grasshopper says:

Hongshen, honestly, is that one of Christ’s teachings. To hate your enemy? I thought he said to love your enemy and esteem them thy brother. Why would any Mormon seek to leave their Church just to come to yours and hate others. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Now, what teaching of their Church do you have a problem with? That they actually name their Church after the Lord’s name? That they pray to the Father in the name of the Son? That they believe Jesus Christ is their personal Savior? What teachings bother you so much that you are filled with hate???

8. Let Freedom Ring says:

My hat goes of to you , David, for defending another’s religion. This is what America, the land of the free, is all about.!

9. EvaMarie says:

Amen to your words Grasshopper, Nate, Rodney, JonH, Mike Sage & amataga tiafala. As for you hongshen, you are in my prayers that your heart will be softened and you can be able to let go of your hatred . And by the way, I think the word you were looking for is ‘heretics’ not ‘heresies’.

10. Jacquelyn says:

There are a coupla reasons why evangelicals hate us (they like to say “oh, no – we love Mormons: we just hate the mormon church/doctrine.”) I volunteer in my community with several evangelica organizations. So I have learned MUCH from my own interactions with them. Evangelicals are systematically taught, as soon as they start attending church, that we are deceivers/decieved. And not just mormons. To my surprise, they also teach against Catholics, Jehova Witness, and more. They naturally believe the misinformation being given to them by people they love and trust. Anybody would. Folks in this category are usually pretty kind-hearted and easy to get along with as long as I don’t proselyte. Fine. I join them in prayer & praise God with them as we fight immorality in our community. I love these guys. Then there are the HATERS. They try to be nice but they can’t help but say as many nasty things about us as possible. They study our faults (perceived & real) of our leaders, our practices, our history – become experts in them & then try to destroy our love and faith in all that is good in our lives. They don’t understand that our loyalty to Christ is what keeps us going to church. They think if we go because we like our leaders. Because that’s what they do! They pick a church based on its pastor! And they call us a cult! LOL! But, I digress… Where does the hate come from? Well we ask a lot from our members – we ask for them to strive for perfection. And since NO ONE ever becomes perfect, outsiders like to call us hypocrites. Sometimes some mormons do stupid or mean things that hurt people. But instead of being angry at the one person – they blame an entire world-wide organization. Lastly, ENVY. That’s right. Haters are jelous of the growth and prosperity of our church and in general, its people. Most of us are not individually rich, but in our wards we have access to anything we need.

• john says:

ummm…. before you start denouncing the EV’s as being a cult because they attend whichever church (physical location not theological foundation) based on how well they can understand and relate to the pastor, you may want to admit that you believe that the leader of your church is a prophet who confers directly with God. To discount part of their “divinely revealed” teachings must mean that either your god lied, was wrong, or that your prophets, even when claiming they speak for God, don’t really ALWAYS speak for God. That would be like saying, I believe the book of Matthew but im pretty sure he was just off on a tangent when he spoke of the wise men. Christianity is all or nothing. You cannot try and sweep under the rug important aspects of your religion simply because they have become politically or socially unpopular. Do I hate Mormons? No, you are the lost sheep, so close yet so far. Do I hate Jos Smith, Brigham Young, and every prophet who followed? No, these men were lead astray by an angel of light who taught them to believe that they could become celestial spirits – gods in their own right. That angel was cast from Heaven for believing that. Do I hate Mormonism? Yes. It perverts the teachings of Christ and steals some of the greatest souls to serve as priests in a church that does not worship God but instead seeks to overthrow Him. And those who know this, who believe you may one day become a god, yet you claim Christianity as your religion – you are my enemy and I will call you on your lies and your perversion of Jesus’ teachings at every opportunity. Do I hate you? No, but I will seek you out and oppose you until I join God – to worship at his feet, not to rule beside Him.

11. Jeanie Anderson says:

I am so proud to share the title of Latter-day Saint with all of you other LDS folks who have responded on this hateful comment by the above mentioned Mr.Hongshen. I do wonder if he is actually a real person expressing his real opinions, or if he is one of those who goes around the internet to all sites political and religious trying to get people all riled up. Good job keeping your cool to all those who responded here. “Press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope and a love of God and of all men…” Thank you Nephi for those powerful words of advice written over 2500 years ago.

12. Dennis Thompson says:

I could educate you here. Number one, Mitt Romney is the best candidate out there in probably 175 years. If he did push Mormonism, I would not vote for him. They have a different God than Christians do, totally different Christ and Holy Spirit. You can show that all day to a Mormon and they will spin spin spin. Sorry, its in your own writings. They do not match the Christians bible.

Its pretty weak to say because someone doesnt like Mormonism its a hate thing. Mormons are mormons, thats fine. But when they try and say they are now all of a sudden Christians, then it becomes personal.

• Annoyed says:

Mormons are Christians. You can keep denying that all day but Christ himself defined what a Christian
      is in John 11:25, 26. I could also do your work for you and give you hundreds of definitions of what a Christian
      is and Mormons would match that description 100% of the time. Only in your ignoramus spiteful world
      is a Mormon not a Christian. Believing He is the Son of God, that he died for our sins, and following his
      teachings makes you a Christian. Period. It’s very simple, you see. I would wish you all the niceties and try
      to be very polite but it’s not really worth it because you will never change. I wonder, if the Mormons I know -
      the good people who do well to others and believe in Christ as the savior – I wonder if Christ Himself would
      shun them as you do. I seriously doubt it. And lastly, I find it very ironic when someone who considers themselves
      to be Christian wastes all their time and energy Judging people as you do. For a while its funny to watch. After
      that it’s just sad and pitiful, and then lastly it becomes annoying. Oh and PS – I have studied what Mormons
      believe about “becoming gods” (or like gods), and it seems some of you haven’t the capacity to weigh context
      with anything. Really, it takes about 4 brain cells to figure it out, and its not at all menacing once you do. In fact,
      we are ALREADY like Gods. Christians already believe this. Silly little people.

• Douglas says:

Dear Dennis,

I am the Sunday School president in a Mexico City stake. It is a volunteer position. We follow the Church’s program to carry out a four-year cycle of scripture study: Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. All of these are books of scripture revealed to prophets before Christ’s birth, during his Life and Ministry and the Early Church, previous to, during and following his ministry in the Americas, and from the inception of the the Church in the 1800s and there forward. This year we are studying the New Testament in the eleven wards (congregations) in our stake. We have an adults class, a young singles class, two youth classes, and a new members class in every ward. This week we are studying lesson 35: Be Ye Reconciled to God (Corinthians) and learning Paul’s teachings about managing tribulation and staying true to God in times of trouble. Here is a section from that lesson. You can see all of our Sunday School lessons on http://www.lds.org.

“Paul’s letter to the Corinthians was written after a time of great persecution when Paul and Timothy “despaired even of life” (2 Corinthians 1:8). Why were Paul and Timothy able to avoid despair despite being troubled, perplexed, persecuted, and cast down? (See 2 Corinthians 1:3–5; 4:5–15.) Why are Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ our best sources for comfort?”

Daily reading of the scriptures, coupled with prayer, keeps one strong and steadfast. I am sure you share that belief. Possibly one day you will rethink your views and consider that Jesus Christ has spoken through prophets and visited other peoples and the Book of Mormon is such a record.

• Russ Bishop says:

Dennis, my friend, as a convert to the LDS church I am very familiar with the theology of mainstream christianity and LDS Christianity. I would advise you to actually talk to someone who knows true LDS doctrine, someone who is actually a member of our faith. There are many “professional” anti-mormons who claim to understand but until one actually trusts the Holy Ghost to be the teacher and convey truth he will never understand. Nearly 300,000 people a year are humbling themselves to the point that they are teachable and are baptized into our church. When you get to that level the spirit takes over. It is a testimony that cannot be denied. After studying the writings of the early Christian scholars, those that were around when the doctrine was pure, I found that it is absolutely consistent with LDS theology. The doctrine of faith and works, the necessity of baptism for salvation, and yes, even the deification of man. If you would put down the books written by our haters and learn our doctrine as taught by our missionaries and then compare it to the teachings of Tertullian, Justin Martyr, Eusebius, Clement of Alexandria, Clement of Rome and so on your eyes will be opened like mine were and you might be a bit more tolerant.

“And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.” The Book of Mormon

13. Carolyn says:

I appreciate the wonderful work of the Evangelicals for Mitt community in their perspicacity in recognizing the qualities of honest, integrity, intelligence and capability in Mitt Romney despite their differences of opinion with him on religious doctrine. We need to recognize the Christian qualities in all mankind. For though millions in the world are not Christian, Christ loves us all and expects us to love and respect each other. I personally believe Mr. Romney is very much a Christian, but this should not guide my decision to vote for him. He leads a very Christian life in that he is a moral and upright man with values that any of us could emulate. That is what is needed in the leadership of our country. He will lead us in a principled way, using his experience and intelligence while relying on his faith in God as good leaders of the past have done, to direct the affairs of our country during these very troubled times. Thank you for the good work you do, EFM!

14. James says:

I think we need to distinguish between the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) and those who practice the religion. As a Catholic evangelical, I considered the Mormon Church at one point, researched it intensely, and turned away from it because it was not Christian. As a Catholic, I have sought to see the best in my evangelical protestant brethren in Christ and build a bridge on what we have in common, as I am also a born again believer of Christ. I am sure that there are many within the LDS Church that are well meaning, moral individuals. However, the theology of the LDS Church is NOT Christian in any way shape or form. Just because you utter the words in the name of Christ, does not mean that your version of Christ is the same Christ of the early church, which has come down in teachings to the present day. Catholics and Protestants may disagree on some matters, but we stand firm in our belief in ONE GOD, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Mormons on the other hand, believe that God the Father is an earthly man that dwells on his own planet with heavenly mother where they have an infinite number of spirit children. They believe Jesus Christ is a separate God, who was the brother of the devil, and finally the Holy Ghost is yet another God. They believe that one must be a good Mormon, adhere to all theology of the LDS church without question, have ceremonies in their temples, and devote ones life to the church to hopefully one day inhabit their own planet as a god, where they will live with their family forever, in the celestial kingdom. None of this is in any way shape or form Christian. Furthermore, their entire religion depends upon the apostasy theory that the early Church fell into apostasy, after the death of the apostles, but this goes against Jesus’ words in Matthew 16:18,” And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.” are Mormons claiming that Jesus was a liar? Furthermore, if this so called apostasy took place then why do you only use the King James version of the Old and New Testament when that did not come about until 1611, well after the supposed apostasy took place? I could continue but that is enough theology.
    In summation I will say that I hope that all Mormons will leave their church and come home to the truth in Christ in the church he founded in 33AD, The Catholic Church, which has held true to His words in Matthew 16:18 cited above. For that matter I hope all evangelicals come home to the Catholic Church, and bring your evangelical fervor for Christ, and transform the mood within Catholic parishes, there is much that Catholics can learn from our evangelical brethren, but I digress, and as I stated originally, I love evangelical Christians, as I consider myself one as well; we are brothers and sisters in Christ, and together we form the body of Christ. I also love Mormons as people, but you are seriously misguided if you think you are Christians.
    Now as far as Romney is concerned, a few quick points:
    1. There is to be no religious test for office.
    2. He is a proven leader and efficiency expert which we as conservatives desperately want to bring to Washington, to bring government under control,
    3. Mitt Romney is our best chance to beat Obama, and we all know it. While his flip flopping may be an issue and I believe he has more to do to prove to all of us as conservatives that he has convictions on some core issues for us. I do believe he will do that in the coming months and as a man running for President, who has proven ability to govern effectively in the most liberal state in the nation . I do believe we can vote for Mitt Romney, knowing that the values we share of a focus on the family, conservative views on social issues, and a strong and consistent view on the economy is what matters most. We do not have to agree with him on theology, and we do not that is clear, only on his governing philosophy. Mitt is a good man of principled values, and I think that he is the leader we need now to turn our nation around.

15. John says:

Not going to go deep into theology here, but I think when people say mormons are not christian they are implying more than our additional scriptures. When people think of the term “christian” they are thinking action. To let people know a couple things about our people. Whenever there is a natural disaster, we have people on the ground ready to help out anyone who needs it. We do several service projects to help in our local communities. When people need help they get it, we might not give money but will enusre there is food in the home of a family in need. We have clean water projects and other charities. As far as the higher authorities of our church being paid, being a general authority is not a birthright. Thomas Monson did not know growing up he would be prophet. Dieter Uchdorf is German and a former pilot. These are callings that people receive after a lifetime of service in the church. No one walking in and out of the doors of a typical meetinghouse has any financial gain from deceiving someone else because none of them are paid. Only a select few will ever be called to SLC to be a general authority and the compensation is meager.

16. Michael says:

I remember when I first came into contact with them. It was on a journey I took as a child across country. We stopped at all the sites along the way. But when I first saw them was a time I will never forget. It was at a mission house in the desert of California. They greeted me with a smile, gave me a cold beverage and an escape from the heat of the desert sun. What struck me most about them was the smiling faces, and genuine warmth; it was palpable. After conversing for a few moments with them, along with my Mother, we departed to the next stop on our road trip. As I left they provided me with a copy of the Book of Mormon, and an 8×10 picture of Jesus Christ. I was a traditional Christian and thus was uninterested in the Book of Mormon, even as a young boy, but the picture of Jesus Christ hung in my room, until it was stolen from me some 20 years later.

I have been one of those who claimed that Mormons were not Christians; I was always respectful but also firm in my position. Then Katrina hit New Orleans, when I saw the response from The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and heard the stories afterward of their help on the ground bringing supplies, helping people rebuild, and being there for support, I began to wonder: maybe being Christian has more to do with how you live, rather than the theological differences that separate us.

While there is much debate over whether Mormons are Christians, and while I will not go into the theological means of said debate, there is something to be said for the Bible itself. The Bible states you will know them by their fruits (Matthew 7:16). When I look around at Christendom today, especially in America, I see hypocrisy, a lack of faith, and all too often, behavior that is anything but Christian. When we really look at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we see a group of people with a strong belief in the savior; Jesus Christ. We see a group of people who are the first to arrive at natural disasters around the world. We see a church which focuses on the family, and moral values. So when we talk about whether Mormons are Christians, the question may not be whether their theology stacks up, though that is obviously a point which can not be ignored. I think the real question is who is embodying the values of Christ, who is embodying the example of Christ? While I will not doubt the tremendous work of Catholic and Protestant organizations around the world to help the disenfranchised, and the poor, it is the LDS Church which is setting the example on faith, and charity.

So while I disagree with Mormons theologically, I admire them. I strive to be like them, and quite frankly, anyone who claims they are not Christian’s needs to read the Bible again you will know them by their fruits. Matthew 7:16 Then they may realize that Mormons are more Christian than many so called Christians claim to be.

Romney’s religion is an asset not a liability. I want a president who has a commitment to faith and family, to morality, and the rule of law. Christians of all denominations need to highlight our common elements and not our differences. Mitt is THE leader for 2012!

17. Anonymous says:

I do not hate the Mormons. I am afraid of them. I fear them. No, my gosh. I have to stay so calm when I see them. They really make me fear.