PRAYER, from Flickr user CHRIS230***, used under a Creative Commons license

“On one occasion, Secretary Margaret Heckler of Health and Human Services suggested that Reagan’s cabinet meetings should open with a prayer.  It was an unorthodox proposal; only Dwight Eisenhower is on record as opening such meetings with prayer on a regular basis.  To Heckler’s suggestion, Reagan simply replied ‘I do.’  That is, he was already in the habit of praying, alone and to himself, before each meeting.”

– Grove City College professor Paul Kengor, in his book God and Ronald Reagan

About Charles Mitchell

EFM's resident Yankee, Charles Mitchell, works in the non-profit arena in his native Pennsylvania. He and his wife, Charissa, live near the state capital of Harrisburg with their daughter, Adeline, and are members of a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America.

9 Responses to Paging Gov. Perry

1. sandy says:

Charles:

What a wonderful post. I have thought that Governor Perry’s so obvious piety was maybe a little wrong but I couldn’t put into words why I felt that way. You are, of course, right and praying should be done quietly and by oneself. Thanks for the insight.

2. ccr says:

I love that! That is what we need in our leaders. A personal, sincere belief in God and our need for His help. We don’t need one who prays to be seen of others. As a group of leaders, humble prayers in behalf of liberty and guidance would be appreciated in my book as well.

Recently, Gov. Mary Fallin of OK asked Oklahomans to pray for relief from the drought and extreme temperatures. That was not done in a stadium but in the quiet of hearts, homes and churches.

• Mark Evans says:

And the Lord finally sent us rain. We’re happy to have Gov. Fallin, along with Sen. Coleman & Inhofe…even though I don’t always agree 100% with all of them!

3. colleen loughmiller says:

Mitt’s faith teaches him to pray always (silently, privately, with spouse and family, in congregations, etc.,). I’m sure he is a humble man who realizes his strength and gifts come from Above. He walks the Christian walk of doing good and forgiving others. I doubt he would critize others such as Gov. Perry who used a stadium for a prayer meeting but would recognize the good that comes from people unite in prayer.

I like the fact that Perry isn’t ashamed to pray publicly. Or state his belief in God. I think it is proper and thankfully still legal. In terms of his sincerity? I don’t know about that. Maybe the folks on this site do.

5. Phil Ellsworth says:

Matthew 6: 5-6

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy acloset, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

6. Robert says:

It’s not a question of being ashamed to pray publicly. I’m sure Governor Romney prays publicly. It’s a question of drawing attention to oneself . Of course, I don’t know Governor Perry, but the Response seemed a little too political for my taste.

7. Charles Mitchell says:

To be clear: I am not faulting Gov. Perry for not being ashamed to pray publicly. That’s an important spiritual discipline. But I do think there’s a difference between his approach and President Reagan’s when it comes to national leaders, and I prefer the latter.