Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 9.37.42 PM

Thank you, loyal readers for sending me some of the good press that Governor Romney has been getting!  Pull up a chair, pour some wine, and enjoy these two articles.  (Hey, we are evangelicals for Mitt, after all, not Mormons for Mitt!  Okay, the rest of you can pour some…  Caffeine Free Diet Coke?  Milk?)

1.  This Hot Air article by Tina Korbe is worth a whole read, but here’s the concluding paragraph:

So far, Romney’s relentless focus on his own strengths has impressed me. He never spends too much time mitigating his own weaknesses. Originally, that was a problem for me: I wanted to hear him cleanly and convincingly disavow his every past mistake. But I recognize it now as a kind of quintessentially conservative optimism that aims to focus on what can be done instead of obstacles. He knows every mention of Romneycare, every mention of Race to the Flop, every mention of his quiet on social issues does nothing to woo voters. So, he touches those topics lightly and moves on to what matters most in this particular election — jobs and the economy. It’s the right approach because, as Perry has repeatedly proved, disavowal doesn’t reassure and defensiveness doesn’t convince. Romney is not a more conservative candidate than Perry — but he’s certainly a more practiced campaigner. And while Obama has taught us that a brilliant campaigner doesn’t always translate into a brilliant president, Romney’s evident comfort level on the trail suggests he would bear up under the pressures of the presidency to pursue the priorities he, at least, deems important. Let’s hope, if he does become the nominee and goes on to win the presidency, he’ll also have a conservative Congress to ensure he picks those priorities with the maximum conservative input.

Also, John Hinderaker discussed the Washington Post Fact Checker story and had this to say:

Unfortunately, Perry’s misfire is not an isolated event. Every day, his campaign sends out emails attacking Mitt Romney, often, in my view, unfairly. I think Perry misapprehends what Republican voters are looking for this year. We want to defeat Barack Obama and elect a Republican Congress. Candidates for the presidential nomination are competitors, not enemies, and needlessly harsh attacks, let alone false ones, should be out of bounds.

Which highlights, I think, one of Mitt Romney’s real strengths. We live in a time of bitter political division, but Romney, whatever you think of his policy positions, completely lacks a mean streak. In this respect, he matches up very well against the divisive Barack Obama, who only knows how to campaign by stirring up hate against his opponents. In my view, Romney’s unwillingness to launch false or unfair attacks is a significant asset.

3.  And yet another reader writes in:

I thought you might find this of interest:

Particularly,

Perry now garners 19 percent, a drop of 10 percentage points from a month ago. That puts Romney back in the top spot with the support of 23 percent. Last month Romney was at 22 percent.

Among all registered voters Obama tops Romney by 3 points, which is within the poll’s margin of sampling error. In July, Obama had a 6-point edge and a year ago it was 1-point. The strength of party support is similar for each, as 85 percent of Democrats back Obama and 83 percent of Republicans support Romney.

Romney tops Obama among independents by a slim 2 points.

In a head-to-head matchup with Perry, Obama bests him by 8 points among all voters, and by 6 points among independents.

Thanks to all of our readers — new and old!  We appreciate you.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Okay, the LDS folks are already writing in to tell me what they are drinking tonight as they enjoy the above articles.

So far, V-8 (the grossest drink ever made, in my opinion) is in the lead.  But what about Postum?  Apparently it has been discontinued since we talked about this topic during the last election.  As you grieve over this, what else are you drinking?  Leave a comment below.

20 Responses to Some Positive Romney Thoughts

1. Jennifer Maner says:

I enjoy checking this website for your perspective on the campaign and have been reading your posts since the first election. Thanks for making those of us who are Mormon feel welcome here. While there are some definite differences between our backgrounds and religions, there is so much we have in common! Thanks for all of the great articles and insights. I am so pleased that Gov. Romney is doing so well this time around. He would be a great president and I believe that he truly has the ability to turn this country around and get us back on the right track. Oh, and I am drinking some hot chocolate on this beautiful brisk autumn evening. :)

• Nancy French says:

Thanks Jennifer! I appreciate that you have stuck by us this long!! You are more than welcomed here, you are so appreciated. :)

2. Stan says:

Water with Crystal Light. Love your website. Enjoyed the article with Rev. Rob Schenck, I wish everyone had that kind of one on one experience with Mitt but Rev. Schenck’s witness was good enough for me.

3. Jim Tills says:

We have concord grapes and make an incredible grape juice drink. We do not let it set too long or we could be in trouble. (lol)

Mitt is an incredible candidate and will make an outstanding President. In 2008 he said he would go through the federal budget line by line and eliminate billions in waste; I beleive this time around it wil probably be in the trillions. We desparately need this man in office as he is realistic, God-centered, and a conservative who when he sees he is wrong does a turn-around toward conservative principles every time.

The Obama Presidency with its czars, Senate, and Congress lowered our Nation and its ability to recover so badly that it will be almost impossible to get it back on track—but if anyone can, it will be Mitt Romney and a new Senate Republican majority along with an increasing Republican Congress. May God preserve this great Hope of the World, the United States of America under the banner of liberty and belief in Jesus Christ as Lord of the Earth.

4. Chris says:

Root Beer (a&w) but I wish it was Iron Port — does anyone remember that? We used to get it on tap in southern Utah They don’t make it anymore. I have to check this website several times a day for a breath of sanity. And I must agree with many other LDS responders, it is so awesome not to feel like a pariah.

5. gene says:

Due to health…drink only purified water.
    Hopefully the GOP primary voters do not drink at the fountain of OVER EMOTIONIIONALISM nad put another candidate to face Obama..if they do…4 more years of havoc !
    Gene

6. Shaun says:

I’m in absolute agreement about V8, Nancy. I can only get it down with my nose plugged. Right now I’m toasting Mitt with grapefruit juice.

7. Phil Ellsworth says:

Hey, today is the last day of the fundraising quarter. Where’s your friendly reminder to donate today? We need to keep Romney on top in fundraising. I put my money where my mouth is about an hour ago. Today is a great day to donate! Let’s show the grassroots abilities of this campaign and push his fundraising where it ought to be and not let the Perry flavor of the month spoil the quarter!

8. Leon Goodman says:

Here in Idaho we drink what is being harvested like peach juice, nest week, concord grapes but today was hot and thirsty so it was a strawberry cane soda made with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. The V8 is mainly for the survival kit and Virgin Marys when we can get fresh limes. We all love Mitt and don’t see how any thinking person could not like him for the good man he is. Thanks for what you and David do for the country.

9. JediMormon says:

To all you V8 juice haters out there: next to the bad taste I always get in my mouth whenever I think of Obama, V8 juice is like nectar from the gods.

10. Nancy & David…i love you guys!!! Thank you for doing all you can to help put Gov. Mitt Romney & his lovely family in the White House. I know in my heart that he will make a great POTUS (he reminds me alot of Ronald Reagan!)!!! Have a wonderful day & GOD bless!…P.s.: To all of the bloggers on this great site, please come check out Romney Central too. :)

11. Robin says:

I love this site. You are so sane ! Jeffress can’t see the forrest for the trees. When evangelicals point their finger at a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and say we are not Christians and are a cult, I see that person as the embodiment of a modern-day Pharisee. I have no doubt that Jeffress has read the Bible, but he is missing the fact that he acts exactly like a Pharisee. Jesus had no respect for Pharisees.