Screen Shot 2011-10-08 at 12.10.56 PM

After Richard Jeffress’s comments, the Washington Post asked me for a response.  It begins:

If Mitt Romney had run for governor of South Carolina against outspoken conservative evangelicalMark SanfordDallas First Baptist Church pastor (and famous Rick Perry fan) Robert Jeffress would have loudly campaigned for Sanford over the “cultist” Mitt Romney.

If Mitt Romney had run for senate from Nevada against outspoken evangelical John Ensign, Robert Jeffress would have been by Ensign’s side, telling Christians that if they were truly “born again,” they’d vote for Ensign.

If Mitt Romney had run for senate from Louisiana, against Catholic David Vitter, Robert Jeffress might have had a tougher choice, but the odds are that he’d hold his nose and campaign for a Catholic over a Mormon.

And in each case he would have been shockingly, embarrassingly wrong.

Read the whole thing, comment on it, and please share it.  Pastor Jeffress was on Fox and Friends again this morning, and we need to fight back as long as he’s prominent in the public debate.

26 Responses to Firing Back in the Washington Post

1. Tim says:

Romney’s religion doesn’t make a difference to me. The reason I don’t support him is because of his lack of principles. The fact that he makes policy decisions based on political expediency instead of principles is what bothers me. His religion doesn’t bother me. I would rather vote for a Mormon like Romney than some one who spent 20 years in Rev. Wright’s church.

The secondary issue here is that while voting for or against some one based strictly on some one’s religion doesn’t make much sense…the fact remains that LDS is not a Christian religion. I won’t go so far to say it is a cult but it a different religion from Christianity.

• Eichendorff says:

The idea that Romney lacks principles is just as ridiculous as the idea that Mormons are not Christians. It is offensive and untrue.

Mitt Romney has imperfections just like everybody else, but in his private and public life he clearly espouses and lives by the principles of the Constitution. The only real change in his political position was on the subject of abortion. He moved, as did Ronald Reagan, from a more liberal view to a more conservative one. He has not wavered since.

He is often accused of changing his position on gay rights. He has done nothing of the kind. He has always believed that gays have rights like everybody else, but he has always opposed same-sex marriage. He did everything within the limits of his power as governor of Massachusetts to prevent its acceptance, but was overruled by the legistlature and the state supreme court.

Romney instituted the health care system in Massachusetts because that is what the residents there wanted. But he only did it after the budget was balanced. He also crafted a plan that was market-based. It was not a government takeover in the way Obama’s proposals are. He vetoed a number of provisions the Democrats inserted, but they overrode his veto.

Finally, Latter-day Saints are perfectly happy to be referred to as non-traditional or non-creedal Christians, but we will never, ever, in all eternity acquiesce in our insistence that we are Christians. That will never happen.

2. Tim says:

What is Evangelicals for Mitt’s take on this issue? Do they believe that LDS/Mormons are Christians? Or do they believe it is a separate religion?

• JediMormon says:

Politically, what difference does it make what EFM chooses to label Mormonism as? As EFM has stated several times, we are not electing a pastor-in-chief, we’re electing a commander-in-chief. What religion the new president happens to be is a non-issue. It just so happens that EFM’s moral compass points in the same direction as Mitt Romneys and millions of other Mormons and Evangelicals moral compasses point. And that’s good enough for me. :o )

• JediMormon says:

BTW…yet another great article, EFM! I’ve been an avid reader of your site almost since day one of the previous election.

3. Hannah Rebekah says:

David,
    Great article. The best part is that my college age son sent me the link from the Washington Post. I’ve given him the link to Evangelicals for Mitt to bookmark earlier but I don’t think that is where he saw it first.
    Just so you know, I’m an LDS non-historical Christian and I have followed you and your wife’s site since the first time that Romney ran. This son was on his mission at that time but now he is able to follow things more closely.
    Romney is blessed to have good friends like you two and the others on this site. Keep up the good work. You all are an example of your Christian values of love thy neighbor.
    Thanks,
    HR

• David French says:

Hannah, thanks so much for the comment. It made my day to hear that our message is getting out. If you add together the shares and comments from all our articles this week, from EFM, to Patheos, to National Review, to the Washington Post, then it’s clear that we’ve engaged tens of thousands of people. I’m grateful for that opportunity.

4. Sara says:

I completely disagree with what Jeffress said. The definition of Christian is:Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
    The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter day Saints DO believe in Jesus Christ…so that does make them Christian. Yes they are not Catholic but they believe in Christian values! I cannot believe that someone could be so ignorant to attack a religion in this way. He is being un-Christ like by doing so!

5. Tim says:

Romney being a member of LDS makes no difference in regards to whether or not I will vote for him. The reason I asked for Evangelicals For Mitt’s take on this is because people are falsely claiming that LDS is Christian. This has nothing to do with politics. It’s a much more important issue than that. I see that David French has ignored my earlier comments. I would really like to know their position though because people on his website are falsely claiming that LDS is a Christian religion. I wouldn’t want them to falsely lead people to believe that so it would be great if he would clarify Evangelicals For Mitt’s position on this issue once and for all. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Eichendorff says:

The claim that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christian is true, not false. You are not God’s designated authority on earth to decide who is Christian and who is not. Neither is Jefress, nor the Southern Baptists.

Latter-day Saints know who they are. They know whom they worship. Above all, God knows the hearts of everyone, and he knows the hearts of Latter-day Saints. It is up to him to pass judgment, not you.

• Tim says:

“The claim that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christian is true, not false.”

Does Evangelicals For Mitt agree with this statement?

• Eichendorff says:

Evangelicals for Mitt supports Romney for president. Their view is that his religion doesn’t really matter as long as his governmental philosophy, morals, and integrity align with theirs, which they do.

• Tim says:

1. Do you officially represent Evangelicals for Mitt?

2. I agree that Romney’s religion doesn’t make a difference in regards to whether or not some one should support him.

3. That doesn’t answer my question.

It’d be nice to get a response from Mr. or Mrs. French on this.

6. Eichendorff says:

For crying out loud. The reason EFM exists at all is because David and Nancy French support Mitt Romney for president. Numerous posts on this Web site communicate the fact that Romney’s religion shouldn’t matter. The evidence for this is plastered all over the site.

Whether or not EFM thinks Mormonism is Christian or not is irrelevant. The posts on this Web site make this clear. Of course, I am not a spokesman for EFM. I don’t have to be. I can read.

7. Tim says:

Mr. and Mrs. French are both Christians. Many commenters on here keep falsely claiming that LDS is Christian. I would like to know if they agree with those claims. As of now, those comments claiming that LDS is Christian have gone unchallenged by EFM. I don’t think they would want to be partially responsible for leading people astray with false statements.

• Alma says:

I might ask about the other side of the coin, sir. I have seen nothing to successfully argue that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are NOT Christian. I have heard people make that statement, as you have, as if it is simply common knowledge, in spite of the LDS claim of being Christian. Maybe we are ships passing in the night, not understanding each other’s position. What exactly is the Evangelical Christian definition of what it takes to be Christian? I thought it was professing Christ as your personal Savior, which Mormons do. So if I am missing something, please set me straight. Stating that Mormons are not Christian would be like accusing Democrats of not being patriots on the grounds that you don’t agree with their politics. It seems like the burden of proof is with those making the accusation before it is with the defendant. And so far nothing I have read from anybody has convinced me that I do not believe in Christ.

• Eichendorff says:

“Many commenters on here keep falsely claiming that LDS is Christian.”
      There is nothing false about it. They are just stating an incontrovertible fact. All Latter-day Saints believe that Christ is the Eternal Son of God, that he was resurrected, and that salvation is possible only through him. They also accept the Bible as the Word of God without reservation. Latter-day Saints will never stop insisting they are Christians. Never. And there is nothing you or any Evangelical can do about it.

8. Hannah Rebekah says:

Tim,
    First of all I’m a Mormon and I don’t think it really matters at all what the personal religious views of those at EFM are when it comes to Mormonism. Religion is a personal matter and they have been a great example here of respect of others in the public square while holding to the “dictates of [their] own conscience.” I respect them for this. And I look to those of the Evangelical community like EFM and others who are building bridges with the Mormons. Other examples would be Dr. Mohler and Richard J. Mouw. But we still have others who hold to the old paradigms and this is on both sides.
    Progress has been made and being Christlike goes along way for everyone. Those who are speaking out to defend the Mormons now or in the past warms my heart because I have have seen too many attacks against us. The tides are changing for the good.
    For those of us who are Mormon we should be respectful and big enough to live by our own principles (see 11th Article of Faith).
    I think it would be helpful for everyone to read the comments of Orson Scott Card (LDS American author).
    We can all come together by being great Americans and to protect our way of life and our freedoms. In a time when freedom of religion is being eroded we all need each other.
    Blessings to All,
    HR (non-traditional LDS Christian)

This is the very first time that I have come to your website. I find it very enlightning and informative. I appreciate your values, concerns and dedication for this great country. It is people like yourselves that make this country what it is – GREAT. I am grateful to see that you are rendering unto Caesar the things that are Casear’s and unto God that things that are God’s, as Jesus did. The only thing that I can say to “Tim” is the response that Jesus gave when asked, “What is the greatest commandment”? Jesus said, “To love God with all of your heart” and the second is like unto it, “To love your neighbor as yourself” (but only if he is your definition of a Christian, or if he is not a gentile, or if he only goes to your church). Jesus embraced and accepted “everyone” for “who” they where, not “what” they were! I am sorry “Tim”, but you are only seeking to divide us, not unite us in a common cause. I will pray for you (because I love you) that perhaps a change of heart or a softening of your heart will occur to accept people for who they are, not what they are. Let it go, let Jesus be the true Judge, not us. And when you do, you will be able to see more clearly, as I am a witness of it.
    With all of my love……..