RomneyTime-600x384

Over at Time, Mark Benjamin takes a swing at Nancy and me (and our EFM friends).  It begins:

Nancy and David French, a couple from Columbia, Tenn., are perhaps the most visible evangelical supporters of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. They started a group called Evangelicals for Mitt back in 2005. Both regularly post to a pro-Romney blog at the Evangelicals for Mitt website. Nancy French just last week began writing her posts from Des Moines, Iowa. And Nancy and David have both contributed to National Review, where they occasionally defend Romney and criticize his rivals.

“We started as a group of friends who supported him – grassroots,” Nancy French says. “We are not connected to the campaign. We do what we want and say what we want.”

Though David and Nancy French deny it, campaign finance experts say the couple’s group looks like a thinly disguised extension of the Romney campaign. “They appear to be able to spend lots of money, but won’t say where it comes from,” says Fred Wertheimer, founder and President of Democracy 21. “It is circumstantial evidence, but it suggests this is a shell group for a Romney operation.”

But if you keep reading, you’ll see that after this big set-up comes . . . well, not much.  As I say in my response in Patheos:

Here’s the way Evangelicals for Mitt works.  When there is no presidential campaign we have the liberty to spend our own money and to raise money from friends to convince Mitt to run and to argue that he’s best equipped to repair our economy, defend life, and confront jihad.  The instant the campaign officially starts, we stop spending and raising money (thank you, John McCain for limiting my freedoms) and just run our little blog, write in other outlets, answer media inquiries, volunteer when we can, and talk to anyone who’ll talk to us.  We give the maximum donations to the campaign, but that’s it.

In other words, we support a candidate for president, we put our money where our mouth is, we work hard, and we comply with the law.  Last time I checked, that was called “citizenship.”

Read the Time piece here and my full response here.  Interesting day!

8 Responses to Time Takes a Swing at EFM

1. Shaun says:

Take the swipe as a compliment. You wouldn’t be dodging brickbats from the press if you weren’t having an impact. And keep the updates rolling- you guys and the Article VI-ers alone preserve my sanity in the midst of this unhinged primary season. Keep up the faith and the good work.

2. David Walser says:

David,

Thanks to you and everyone else at EFM. You’ve done your best to improve our country. For your trouble, others have questioned your faith and your integrity. No matter how the election turns out, I’ll continue to appreciate and laud your good work.

3. Pingback: Evangelicals for Mitt: | Article VI Blog | Lowell Brown

4. Norm says:

You have articulated your views in a way that is compelling and uplifting. I am continually in awe of your combined talents. I appreciate not just your views of the presidential election but I appreciate your civic actions; your defense of the constitution; your service in the military; your passion for noble causes. Thank you for being the trumpet in a very serious time of our nation. I have the desire but I do not have the talent to sound clear notes that others can understand. I am grateful for your abilities. Sincerely.

5. Joe says:

I just came across this site today and I am fairly confused. Y’all are professing evangelicalism, yet there is precious little (any?) mention of Jesus Christ. Why are you portraying yourself as Christian (which means you now are owned by and live to serve Jesus) and yet seem to focus solely on politics without any reference to Scripture or the things of God? Further more, in Scripture we see that in no way are we to ever partner with the lost, and yet you are extremely ambitious in partnering with a professing Mormon (someone the Bible teaches to be an idolator). With such incredible disregard of Scripture, I highly suspect that you might be more in line with atheists, as you seem to have no real belief of or fear of God (healthy reverential resepect) whatsoever. If you want to promote a candidate…fine. But PLEASE stop trying to align yourselves with a God that you seem to completely ignore. Dangerous stuff you are doing here folks! Dangerous stuff. Now the real test…will this comment even be visible??

• Hannah Rebekah says:

Joe,
      Did your pastor teach to be a bigot against Mormons? You can’t blame it on the Bible because the it teaches no such thing. In fact, Jesus Christ taught tolerance and love….even when it came to preaching the gospel.

Jesus taught tolerance of other types of “Christianity.” Mormons are non-Traditional Christians yet are Christians none the less. For those Bible only believers the Bible defines or describes Christians as those who are “followers of Christ’s teachings.” Mormons follow the Bible and the Book of Mormon is only a second witness to those teachings.

The New Testament is rich with examples of Jesus teaching tolerance and love.

Jesus’ disciples had rejected a healer who was exorcising demons in Jesus’ name, yet was not one of Jesus direct followers. Jesus criticized his disciples and accepted the healer. Mark and Luke report the incident in parallel passages:
      *Mark 9:38-40 “…we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbade him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.” (KJV)
      *Luke 9:49-50 “…we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.”

Jesus refused to curse non-believers: Jesus’ teachings were rejected by the inhabitants of a village in Samaria. His disciples asked that he exterminate the people of the village by issuing a curse. Jesus refused to do it, and simply move on to the next village.
      *Luke 9:52-56: “…they did not receive him…And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.”

Jesus treats a Samaritan women with respect: Jesus initiated a conversation with a Samaritan woman in Sychar, Samaria. This is unusual in at least two ways: Jewish men did not talk to women who were not their wives or were not from their family. Also, Jews normally treated Samaritans with contempt. Jews did not have dealings with them, because they had deviated from Judaism.
      *John 4:7-27: “There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink…Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water…Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father…And upon this came his disciples, and marveled that he talked with the woman…”

There are numerous other examples so instead of trying to pass along your bigotry as Christianity try putting your nose in the Bible and find out what it really teaches.

• This is a site focused on politics, not on theology.

Kind of you to call me and my family “idolators,” though, and to take upon yourself the authority — which, in my y lowly state, I had always imagined belonged to God alone — to pronounce us “lost.”

No kidding? I quit reading Time close to twenty years ago when I lost interest in fiction, so I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.