Crazy Face Dad, from Flickr user edenpictures, used under a Creative Commons license

I got an e-mail this morning about this humble website.  It’s from an evangelical pastor here in Pennsylvania.  The subject line:  “You are crazy.”  It goes on to denounce EFM.

And you thought we evangelicals were going to teach the Mormons about grace…

Speaking of crazy, here’s something that actually is:  the idea that the state that’s home to Sin City is a Mormon-dominated mecca for Massachusetts pols seeking votes.  Nevada’s population is a whopping 6.5 percent LDS, according to the Denver Post.  Was last night a surprise?  No.  But was it an achievement?  As a certain someone would say, you betcha.

About Charles Mitchell

EFM's resident Yankee, Charles Mitchell, works in the non-profit arena in his native Pennsylvania. He and his wife, Charissa, live near the state capital of Harrisburg with their daughter, Adeline, and are members of a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America.

11 Responses to Crazy

1. RobinforMitt says:

Thank you for all you are doing to help people know Mitt. The word needs to get out that Newt, who only cares about himself, is willing to sell out the Gop for his own pride and ego. You’d think that the conservative media at least would put an end to this cannibalism, but they are as bad as the leftist media that just want to keep Newt going to up their listeners. Hannity, Rush, Levin…you are showing that you really don’t care about our nation, but only about your own survival.

For you to annouce that you received such an email from a pastor saying “You are Crazy” shows just how humble you truly are. I believe your heart is right with God. God loves everyone and is not a respecter of persons. God loves the sinner just as much as he does the righteous. Does not the Bible teach that the rain falls on the just and the unjust?

I truly believe that when we kneel before God, at that day, the first question isn’t going to be “When you were on earth, in the United States, were you a born-again, church going, money-giving, mainstream Christian?” I believe it will go like this. God knows all things. God knows your heart inside and out. God knows the content of your heart and the nature of your character. God will not have to say a word! You will already know what God is thinking about you. And you know that God is looking upon your heart and you are wondering what He’s going to find? At that moment, are you going to find true intimacy with God?

Or, are you going to want the rocks to fall upon you and hide you from His presence because of your disdain, your malice and your hypocrisy toward your fellowman, no matter who they are! I believe Mitt Romney is a man of true character and honesty. And I don’t want to stand before God and say, “But he was a Mormon.”

• marK says:

Actually, what the good Lord is going to do is “…gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:”(Matt 25:32) He will then do one of two things. He will either say:

“Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. “(Matt 25:34-36)

Or he will say:

“Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.” (Matt 25:41-43)

No matter how hard I look in that glorious 25th Chapter of Matthew, I can’t find where it states that what sort of God one believed in on earth is going to be a major criteria in getting into Heaven. Whether it be one God, many Gods, or no God at all, it doesn’t appear it is going to be that important to the good Lord at that last day. After all, we are told that “every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” (Romans 14:11). So we will all believe in the correct version in the end, anyway. To claim that someone is going to hell because they don’t believe in the “proper” God here on earth is stretching it, in my opinion.

3. Jettboy says:

I think Newt does have the support to go all the way. The Southern States will be, as has been shown in South Carolina, behind him. The reason is something that continues to be downplayed this time around and denied by those who do hold the position: a majority of evangelicals (in the South) hate Mormons. As an aside, they don’t support Santorum because he is too Catholic, while Newt’s seriousness as a Catholic is questioned. His biggest win will be Texas.

The problem is that its ultimately a losing strategy for both Newt and the South. The Republican Party “establishment” will see how minimal they are as a influential primary voting block. The Southern States will become a party in the party whose voice ultimately will be muted. Newt will of course get the delegates he needs to go the distance, but the cost will be high while he still won’t win the primary. Those who point to Florida and Nevada to say this observation is flawed do so without considering these states are culturally much different than the heart of the South. Unless my observations since Reagan are off, what we are going to see is the political continuation of the U.S. Civil War in the Republican Primary with the West (and Texas is actually more Southern than Western) as part of the conflict siding with the North.

4. Brandon from NJ says:

Well, as Brandon likes to say, this election is about someone who will get the next 4 to eight years in the oval office. This isn’t for eternity, and frankly the political system will be over if Jesus ends up being king of the Earth as described in the Book of Revelation, and the world endures in peace for centuries, how great does that sound? Anyways, I wouldn’t mind Romney for four years at least, I have lived for about 29, think about how many presidential administrations I have lived through by being almost three decades old? Frankly plenty if you ask me. I would rather have some Mormon be president than let myself blindly buy into blindly accepting any generic person who shows off him/herself as a Christian all the time, at least Romney doesn’t have to mention it very much. Even his enemies like Bill Maher are the ones making a bigger deal about it than he is!!! At least Romney sticks to the politics, and leaves his religion mostly elsewhere.

5. tiafala says:

RC’s and Brandon from NJ’s responses are wonderful words of peace and truth for me to express my feelings and views too. Thank you my TRUE PEACEMAKING FRIENDS!!

I suspect that this is not the first “shame on you” communication Charles has gotten from the holier-than-thou types. Next time, Charles, just tell them you’re not worried about what they think because you’ve been assured that God, along with over 14 million Mormons, have your back on the Romney matter. (Okay…I’m kidding–but it is a pleasant contemplation of how your self-appointed judge would react to it.)

Keep up the excellent articles. I enjoy every one of them.

Pay no mind. I’ve been taking persecution from those types since I was a kid. I’d like to think I’m better for it. And it’s only a matter of time before they’re “crazy” too.

8. Hannah Rebekah says:

What’s crazy is those denouncing Mormons have not idea what they are talking about. Case in point, this:

The Baptist Version of The Book of Mormon
    Protestant Doctrines within the Book of Mormon
    By Lynn Ridenhour,
    Southern Baptist Minister

(those doctrines include “GRACE, BORN AGAIN and others. DARE TO SEE JUST CLICK THE LINK!!!

Or go on believing what your pastor says about us!!!!
    And the other Anti-Mormon junk that is out there. Here’s a cure for that if your dare read it…and by-the-way it’s by non-Mormons:

Mormon Apologetic Scholarship and Evangelical Neglect: Losing the Battle and Not Knowing It?
    Carl Mosser and Paul Owen