Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 8.20.30 AM

It seems that Democrats can vote in Michigan’s primary.  And Rick Santorum is courting them:

Mitt Romney, in the fight for his home state of Michigan, attacked Rick Santorum Tuesday for robocalls that Santorum’s campaign put out this week asking Democrats to vote for him in Tuesday’s primary.

“It’s a dirty trick,” he said on Fox News’ Fox & Friends. “It’s outrageous to see Rick Santorum team up with the Obama people and go out after union labor in Detroit and try and get them to vote against me. Look, we don’t want Democrats deciding who our nominee is going to be, we want Republicans to decide who our nominee is going to be.”

He later said that “I just think it’s outrageous and disgusting.”

But Romney wasn’t finished: “I think Rick Santorum has a lot of explaining to do,” he said, calling the robocall “a new low for his campaign—and that’s saying something.”

Read it all here.

18 Responses to Democrats for Rick?

1. Larry says:

Aw … poor little Mitt. He apparently dislikes the taste of his own medicine. Remember his Santorum robocall in Florida. Remember his dirty tricks galore against Newt. Remember his “if you can’t stand the heat” jibe? No sympathy for the devil? You bet. Mitt, take a hint from Mick’s song by (nearly) the same title … “I’m in need of some restraint”. I’ll say.

• Rodney Jackson says:

I love sports. Do you? What does every sports team and sports fan hope happens as they work their way through the playoffs? They hope the BEST team loses so that their road to victory is more secure. So who do they root for – the opponent! It is the one time a team still alive in the playoffs cheers for another team.

So Rick’s plan is NOT to address those who want the best man to represent them. No. No. His plan is to hope that the OTHER team will take Mitt out so he doesn’t have to face him. His plan is to slide THE REFS some cash to help throw the game in his favor. And surprise, surprise, the Obama team has the same plan. “VOTE FOR RICK! their encouraging.” Very telling. Very revealing. Very obvious! How can this be compared to pure head-to-head competition? That’s what is so despicable about what Rick has done, and you have no plans of admitting that.

But hey, who am I to consider reality?

2. Larry says:

Why does Romney have such difficulty connecting with “the base” (read, 70% of the GOP)? Because he’s not one of us. Case in point. Just tow days ago Mitt stated “It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments… I’m not willing to light my hair on fire to try and get support.” Note that.

Here’s the operative phrase “It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments”. His point of view is, frankly, not terribly different from President Obama’s. Recall this Obama gem “They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Mindless, reactionary … a stupid mob.

Romney again … “It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments”. “Severely Conservative”? No … just severely patronizing … and phoney.

• Rodney Jackson says:

“Why does Romney have such difficulty connecting with “the base” (read, 70% of the GOP)? Because he’s not one of us.”

Um, er, is it just me or is your preferred candidate (Gingrich) even far less “one of us” considering he is getting wasted in this election. It seems odd to me how Gingrich and Santorum supporters (including Santorum himself) keep insisting how Mitt is not “connecting” with the Republican base while he is LEADING. This means that Santorum and Gingrich are doing an even poorer job at “connecting with the base.”

That’s like a man who is $40,000 in debt telling a man who is $20,000 in debt that he just doesn’t know how to handle his finances. Be fair Larry, even if Romney had 80% of the vote you would be against him. No problem with that, but don’t talk about lack of connection with the base when all the other candidates are failing to do so even more.

But hey, who am I to consider reality.

3. Frozone says:

If you think GOP primary voters are fickle, wait till you see what the Dems will do.

They may be for Rick in the spring, but definitely for Obama in the Fall. No doubt about it.

Santorum appealing to them to swing this primary shows what a fool he really is. This is a tactic not born of strength, but of abject desperation, by both him and team Obama.

• Larry says:

Mitt continues to betray this tacit fact. He is profoundly unelectable. If you cannot ignite, much less attract, your base … you are “severely” unelectable in the general. Wiggle and spin all you wish but that fact is inescapable..

• Frozone says:

I’m not buying that argument either. He won, then governed as a conservative in Massachusetts!! People like and will vote for competence. We don’t need a cheerleader or someone who sends a tingle up my leg. We are republicans, and we know we need someone who can get the job done. Independents will come on board with that message too.

• Larry says:

Frozone, your premise is flawed. Romney did not govern as a conservative. If you are persuaded that he did it is likely that a) you accept without question Romney talking points, and b) you are as unfamiliar with actual conservatism as is Romney.

Again and again, whether in Freudian slips like the one listed above or in his Minimum wage blunders, Romney reveals the absence of any real, cogent, full-orbed conservative philosophy. What he does reveal is not only an extraordinary yearning to fulfill his personal ambitions but a distasteful sense of entitlement.

• Frozone says:

Do you live in MA? I did. Saw it all first hand. So I don’t need to rely on your second hand (and obviously flawed) observations of same. My taxes went down.

Romney has LED many things, and when he has, he has:
            1. Balanced the budget
            2. Eliminated waste
            3. Reduced spending
            4. Turned a profit
            5. Stood for family values (walked the walk, by the way, not just talked the talk, as evidenced by his great family)

If you don’t think that is conservative, then you are right, I don’t buy your definition. ;)

4. Larry says:

Yes, Frozone … I did, for six years. I then conducted business there for an additional 6 years (which coincided with Mitt’s term as Governor). I dealt with business people there … with people whose clients were business people. Talk to them Frozone. Different story … very, very different story. And that’s relevant given the need to stimulate (not retard) the market and stimulate employment … an effort Romney failed miserably in.

• Larry says:

BTW, you do realize that every Massachusetts Governor balances the budget, yes? Even the most liberal. It’s a constitutional mandate. Its rather like saying that “as governor I breathed air” … wow … so did everyone else.

5. Frozone says:

You really need to get your facts straight (a narrow world view sometimes doesn’t allow that). If you read my last post again, you’ll realize that the pattern listed exteneds to private sector work and the olympics as well. But no, let’s keep squintinng at gnats.

Thanks for admitting you didn’t live in MA under Romney’s term: That explains a lot. You can always ferret out a naysayer or two that likes to complain. Sounds like you hang out with more than most.

“If I keep saying it, it must be true…” :)

6. Frozone says:

As an aside: I can tell Santorum’s obeisance to the liberal union machine in Michigan has really struck a nerve with our friend Larry. This is the only post he trolls…

• RC says:

Larry is a blow-hard! I really think he does this to get excited.

Talk about the conservative base. The GOP base is nothing but pure hot air. They flip-flip more than all of the candidates put together. Up and down, up and down, up and down. In other words, Sarah Palin – Donald Trump – Rick Perry – Herman Cain – Newt Gingrich – Rick Santorum!!!!! The GOP base flips and flops almost every week. They are worse than Jello in an earthquake. Personally, I wouldn’t trust them in a million years. They are nothing but a bunch of sheep. Baa, baa, baa.

So Larry, you can stay with this wishy-washy base all you want. I certainly am not. Romney leads with more points than the other candidates. I’ll stick with him all the way. Romney is the ONLY candidate that does not have ratings in the polls like a stormy sea – up and down, up and down.

By the way Rick Santorum has never lead an organization, private or public, let alone the largest organization in the world – the United States. And Gingrich, oh please, spare me.

Romney – 2012

• Larry says:

I find the need to attack those who post positions unfriendly to Romney a common trait among Mitt boosters. Worse, the attacks are a strange mix of romper room like childishness and churlishness. Arguing a point? No, just attack the messenger. For the record gentlemen, ad hominem attacks are a sign of very, very low ammo.

7. Matt says:

Liz. Be careful. You don’t want Larry to take your reference to the devil as an ad hominem attack on him. He gets his feelings hurt pretty easily here.