Mormons and U.S. Marines carry aid to landslide victims in central Philippines in 2006, from The Wall Street Journal, 2/18/12

You don’t have to like all their theology.  I sure don’t.  But this is what a strong church looks like.

About Charles Mitchell

EFM's resident Yankee, Charles Mitchell, works in the non-profit arena in his native Pennsylvania. He and his wife, Charissa, live near the state capital of Harrisburg with their daughter, Adeline, and are members of a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America.

16 Responses to Memo to My Evangelical Brothers & Sisters

1. Cynthia N Castro says:

Thanks for this post…we are all brothers and sisters in this world. We all love everyone no matter what religion they belong. :)

• Lance in TX says:

Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way you do.
      For many evangelicals my being LDS puts me at the bottom of the list of valid people.
      Just look at all the posts by “Larry”(and others) who comes here.
      Most of the people here are very kind to us (LDS) but there are still some that think we are all going to hell unless they can convert us to their version of Christianity. Oh well. I am not worried. Jesus will make that decision for them.

Good one. Matthew 25:40 comes to mind: “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” I’ve always maintained that need knows no religion. I don’t think that God cares about the religions persuasion of a person who is engaged in helping others. I think He smiles down on the act of compassionate service being rendered, no matter who’s doing it.

• Lance in TX says:

Terry, I agree with you!
      But I cannot count how many times I have been told by Evangelicals that the good works done by LDS don’t count in God’s eyes (does he have eyes without a body?? But that is for another discussion) because LDS don’t believe in the true and saving God.

(Larry? You wish to comment…)

Lance…I know exactly where you are coming from. I have been dealing with anti-Mormons and anti-Mormonism types on a daily basis on the internet (primarily on YouTube) for years now. However, I have come to find that there are some (not sure of the numbers) who have returned in kind my respect for their religious beliefs, the same kind of respect that the EFM folks have shown about LDS beliefs. The comment Charles made below the photograph where he states that “You don’t have to like all their theology.  I sure don’t” doesn’t bother me in the least. I would bet that he’s leaving the judging of Mormons up to God, and accepting us LDS for what we are. It’s sad that not everyone can have an attitude towards LDS similar to what the EFM crowd has. I think they realize that showing respect for another’s beliefs doesn’t mean that you also have to agree with those beliefs.

Charles sure doesn’t. (Sorry Charles, but that was too good to pass up.) *wink*

• Larry says:

Lance, I assume you’re referring to me. It’s too bad you don’t read my posts as they’re actually written. You, Terry and others here share an extraordinary affinity for inserting your own thoughts in place of the writer’s intent. Of course that makes meaningful discussion entirely impossible. But I’ve
        gathered that was never your aim. Clearly, You do not wish to engage in an objective discussion regarding Mormon theology as it compares to orthodox Christianity. You would prefer to denigrate the motives of those who take seriously the effects of error on others, and implicate them in the dark motives of bigotry. Ironic really.

• Larry says:

Hannah, doctrine, not ritual lies at the heart of Mormon error. Offering a comparison between ritual in the Roman Catholic Church and the LDS ignores the very profound differences that exists between Mormonism and Orthodox Christianity.

Petitio principia, equivocation, incomplete comparisons and circular reasoning are only a few of the fallacies which riddle the piece you’ve linked to. Again, clear doctrinal comparisons can underscore the vast gulf which separates Mormonism from authentic Christianity.

3. laura says:

As a Christian I can’t vote for Newt, no Morals and Santorum using his faith to win. Mitt has had to defend his faith as he is the only man in this race with faith, family, character. I want a President that has the executive experience and good moral charater and willing to defend past choices, Santorum will be vetted and when his shady past comes out, the religious people will vote for Mitt!

• JL Fuller says:

Laura, I appreciate your words but right is right. We Republicans should be held to a higher standard in my opinion. We should give each man his due. I am a Mitt Romney supporter to be sure however Rick Santorum is one of the good guys too. He too is a decent, honorable and devoted family man. He is the kind of guy I think we could all support if Mitt is not nominated. Personally, his history of fiscal irresponsible behavior keeps me from being a serious supporter but his moral values are on par with Mitt’s

Are You Kidding Me?”

Santorum is going after Mitt for taking $$$ from the government to help provide security for the 2002 winter Olympics, referring to the money as “earmarks”.

That’s almost as bad as the Newtster’s idea for a moon base “during my second term”. Both are real head-scratchers.

• Larry says:

Terry, you do realize that Santorum is engaging Mitt on that issue because Mitt, unable (once again) to attract voters to his candidacy now employ’s the same dishonest and dishonorable tactics he employed against Newt … all the while relying upon the ignorance of voters in order to persuade them of a lie. It should cause you real concern that Romney’s narrow and selfish ambitions find him so willingly undermining and corrupting the democratic process. They make for dreadful candidates and even worse leaders.

• JL Fuller says:

Larry, please articulate what Mitt is doing that is dishonest. I read or watch just about everything he says and his campaign publishes and so far I have not found anything that is untrue. They document their sources. Mitt is tough on his opponents but that is the nature of the business. It is his job to voice opinions about their differences. It is Rick and Newt’s job to correct anything they find inaccurate not Mitt’s. But I see nothing Mitt and company doing that is dishonest.

5. Where Mitt Romney spends eternity is important to me, without JESUS as LORD and Saviour, he will be separated from God for eternity…that’s my theology. Can make an effecttive President, probably. We will get the leader God chooses…if God can. Allow Jack Kennedy, Mitt should be fine. That’s my political view

• JL Fuller says:

John, I can appreciate your opinion and it is a valid one from my perspective. However, as a Mormon, I suggest you will soften your position with just a little investigation about LDS theology. I can’t say you will be totally convinced however I think some of the cult thinking stuff will change, if that is how you perceive us. It only makes sense that asking for our view of the issue is only fair before deciding how you perceive us. I am a assuming here so if I am off base I apologize.