Screen Shot 2012-02-23 at 9.16.24 AM

So last night did present us with any knock out punches, but the debate was a great reminder that Gov. Romney is ready to go toe to toe with Pres. Obama.  Rick Santorum was in “confessional mode,” Newt was back to his old jolly self, and Ron Paul seemed to be in good spirits.  Gov. Romney, however, looked down right Presidential.  There’s a reason for this.  He’s going to be the next President of the United States.  Here are a few morning-after articles you may have missed:

The New York Daily News has a column by Andrea Tantaros titled “Romney Shines With Solid, Passionate Performance.”

When he was attacked by former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum for his stance on healthcare in Massachusetts, he retaliated by forcing Santorum to defend his support for former Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter – a conservative villain who later defected to the Democratic Party – over conservative stalwart Sen. Pat Toomey. While Santorum offered an explanation, it is likely to rub the right the wrong way and remind them of his bungle over “Benedict Arlen.”

According to John J. Miller, the Detroit News editorial page is a reliable voice of conservatism in Michigan and it has endorsed Mitt Romney:

Mitt Romney stands alone among the Republican primary field as the candidate capable of winning the White House, and more importantly, of leading the nation to a prosperous future.

And, if you like Gov. Romney, you’ll definitely enjoy this Ann Coulter piece.  Particularly this line: (h/t James)

Meanwhile, Romney cheerfully campaigns on, the biggest outsider and most conservative candidate we’ve run for president since Reagan, while being denounced by the Establishment as “too Establishment.”

And I’ve saved the best for last.  Future First Lady Ann Romney joined Pinterest!  On her page, you’ll find recipes for banana bread, granola cups, and dipped strawberries.

I hope you are all doing well in this crazy campaigning season.  I have found that Monday’s fast has been very helpful in clarifying what’s important and who’s in control of this (and all things).  If you are praying, pray specifically for Michigan, Arizona, and Super Tuesday!

16 Responses to News Round Up

1. Lisa says:

I didn’t watch the debates last night. I was too nervous. But I prayed all the day and night that Mitt would do his very best. I must say…my prayers were answered.

Lisa, you missed a good one. Mitt took Santorum to the cleaners. Santorum was awkward and verbally stumbled at times when attempting to answer Mitt’s charges. As Dick Morris put it in an interview with Sean Hannity, “Romney was presidential. Santorum was congressional.”

Amen to Nancy on the prayers and Monday’s fasting.

Not to sound preachy or anything, but for me, there’s a certain comfort in turning one’s anxieties over to a higher power, knowing that he is willing to fulfill our righteous desires. I don’t know how many are participating in the Monday fast and prayer, but I have personally experienced the power that accompanies a group of people who are united in prayer for a righteous common cause. Since EFM issued the “call” to fasting and prayer, I have felt much more calm about the outcome of the GOP and presidential election, and about the direction the country will be heading under the new president.

Personally, I hope it’s Mitt Romney who does the leading!

I AGREE

Terry, I feel the same as you. I feel much more calm, peace and assurance now. Now that we, the EFM group collectively, have turned over to the Lord what should have been done all along. That is why we need one another, to help us, encourage us and to sustain us in our moments of unrest. We are very passionate because we know what is at stake!

I will definitely be fasting and praying for the voters of Michigan and Arizona this MONDAY.

“In a year so full of doubt,
    We have come to realize
    What it’s all about.

“Our Country, We The People,
    slipping away, inch by inch
    Who brought us together – David and Nancy French.

4. Sharlene and Russ says:

RC, what a beatuiful tribute to David and Nancy—perfect. Thanks D&N for all you do. The fasting with prayer is so inspired. I have shared it with others, and participated for the first time this past Monday. We all “…wait upon the Lord,” but do all we can through fasting and prayer and our good (and steady) works. You two are an anchor for us when we get nervous or worry. Thanks for this post and all you do. Yes, Mitt is very presidential. Go Team Mitt!

5. Larry says:

A lot to be afraid of … Mitt’s campaigns donations are not coming in from rank and file Republicans … but from deep pockets. Last monts Romney spent nearly 3 times what the campaign realized in contributions. Not to fear, Romney has very deep pockets … he can fund his own campaign.

Problem is, he’s not attracting Republicans … at least in numbers to call him a winner. Even in the states he’s won … voter turnout has been pitifully low. Why? Here’s a hint … http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/romney-negative-ads-santorum/2012/02/22/id/430193 … the deceptive and negative ads drive voters away from the polls … and away from the donation box.

What does this mean long term? If Romney secures (rather than wins) the nomination he will almost certainly lose. You cannot, allow me to repeat, you cannot alienate your base and hope to win in the general. Just doesn’t happen.

Conservatives really dislike phonies … especially slanderous phonies. Remember, if Romney wins he will be remembered as the man who fractured the GOP and handed Obama a second term. Here’s a peek at the “enthusiasm” of Michigan voters … http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-presidential-primary/212493-romney-speech-falls-flat-in-detroit.

• RC says:

There is only one problem with your “logic” Larry – I, like millions more do not, allow me to repeat, do not trust the conservative base, period. Which splinter of the conservative base do you attach and aline yourself with? Take your pick: Sarah Palin, Donald Trump, Michelle Bachman, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich or Rick Santorum? The conservative base flip-flop a hundred fold more than all of the candidates put together.

Let’s see……who is it going to be this week? The conservative base is no more on a firm foundation than Jello in an earthquake. Hot then cold, then cold then hot, it’s all making me dizzy. How in the world can the base be trusted when they are all over the map? Take for example, Rick Santorum, voted for “No Child Left Behind” but was against it. Was he for it, then against it? Or was he against it then voted for it? Every candidate has their political flaws, all of them. So get over it.

If I had a business, and it was going under and I had to choose which individual was going to come and save me, it certainly WOULD NOT be Santorum ( he has never run a business, period, let alone the largest business in the world – the United States ), nor Gingrich ( oh, please ). The only man that I would want to help me out would be Romney. Hands down.

The country is going down. Our nation is falling. We need a President that can be a leader for all 300 million + of us, not just for the “conservative” wing, but for everyone. You cannot force or legislate morality! One must govern from the center – for all.

With Apologies to RC (and the rest of the Poetic Community)

Presidential bearing?
    Mitt Romney, he has plenty.
    Santorum, Newt and Paul?
    I’m afraid they don’t have any.

LOVE IT, TERRY

Good one. You see, you were a poet and didn’t even know it. Like Mitt said: “No Apology” needed. Hey, Terry, I really love your posts here at EFM. You give us a great insight on different angles of the Presidential running. You seem to pack a lot of hidden knowledge. I am happy to associate with great people, like you.

President Mitt Romney / V.P. Marco Rubio – 2012

Fox News did a non-scientific poll on candidates for Vice President. 54% was in favor of Marco Rubio, 17% for Mitch Daniels, 17% for Sarah Palin (not) and 12% for Chris Christy.

I’m afraid that Rubio is toast for VP. I read an article the other day that Rubio was a Mormon in his teen years, but drifted away at the age of 16 or so. The article insinuated that his action would be used against him and Mitt should Mitt win the nomination. I personally couldn’t see why, but in politics, almost anything can make sense in a twisted sort of way. For some, the thought of an active Mormon as President and an used-to-be Mormon as VP, might be too much for some to handle. Don’t ask me why.

RC…been a long time since I did it, but it’s got something to do with my Google profile , or Facebook profile (I forget now). Anyway, once you put it up, it seems to show up everywhere.

9. Kay says:

I reading the Book of Nehemiah in the Old Testament this morning. It occurred to me that in many ways Mitt Romney leads like Nehemiah led when sent to rebuild the devastated walls of Jerusalem. It might be me but there were were many comparisons. Nehemiah was a man of faith with a secular mission.