Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 11.28.21 PM

There were no fireworks, he didn’t concede, and he didn’t mention Gov. Romney’s name.

Here’s why you shouldn’t let it bother you.

7 Responses to Santorum’s Speech Wasn’t Perfect

Here’s my take:

For one, he never mentioned Gov. Romney’s name.…..He couldn’t. His pride and arrogance kept him from doing the “right” thing. His loathing for Romney was truly apparent, both in his words and actions. He did the right thing in 2006 for a “Democrat”. Everyone’s answers were finalized in yesterday’s speech – no dignity and no class.

He definitely didn’t ask his supporters to unite behind the nominee.……He couldn’t. Remember, God told him to run. How could he turn his “flock” (voters) over to someone else? If he did that, that would show to the world that he was wrong and that he was not God’s chosen vessel to lead the people into the promised land. How embarrasing would that be!

What about the fact that he didn’t “drop out,” he merely “suspended?”…….He couldn’t. His campaign is in debt. By only suspending his campaign, he could continue to receive donations to pay off his campaign debt – and – receive a paycheck at the same time.

Santorum couldn’t do any of these things. His ego is totally bruised, his pride is handcuffed in a powerful way and his arrogance is light years long. I personally don’t see him fulfilling any of the three items listed above – at all. Zero. He only left the race to save his future career as a politician not because of a concession.

• John Eidsmoe says:

RC, Im a long-time Romney supporter, but I think you’re being overly harsh on Santorum. He’s a sincere guy, and I don’t see that he has more pride than any of the other candidates. By suspending rather than ending his campaign, he can continue to raise funds to cover campaign debts, and if something were to happen to Romney, he would be available as a stand-in.
      Also, Romney needs a running mate who is acceptable to conservative Catholics and evangelicals who (wrongly, in my opinion) aren’t fully sold on Romney. I think Santorum would be a good VP choice, as would Rubio or Jindal or Huckabee. If not VP, Santorum would be an excellent Secretary of Health & Human Services.

• RC says:

John,

Only time will tell. If I am wrong, then I will concede graciously and admit my error and change. However, I hope that I am wrong, but like I said – Only time will tell.

• Amanda says:

You know that Mike Leavitt from Utah will probably be the Secretary of Health & Human Services. He was for George W. Bush. Former Utah Governor Leavitt, hasn’t stopped since leaving Washington, working on Medicare and health care reform.

I am not a Santorum fan RC, but one way or another, Santorum had some sense to eventually leave, it may not have been back when some of us wanted, but it could have been worse.

The headlines today: Santorum quit because the money well was dry!

You mean to tell me that since Santorum was the “true conservative” in this race and that he was connecting with conservatives and evangelicals, not to mention being in second place – that no one was contributing to his campaign fund? You mean to tell me that there was no financial backing from any source to continue his run?

That answers all the questions I had. If there was no avenue of funds, where does he stand now – politically? He doesn’t. Which only cements my comments above.

Well RC, campaigning is a hard game, with Rick Santorum, it seems to me he took for granted how he could throw a few claims of common values around, not to say I don’t agree to an extent, but when you get to the national stage, common values only appeals to a segment of the population. Does this mean that Romney is perfect, either, no, but Romney’s style goes to show that he is willing to throw a general message and try to take a farther, more in-depht look than Santorum is. Santorum could easily take for granted the fact that he could use his religious identity to gain some conservative traction, but conservativism is a large group, with many sections. Some conservatives like me have, at least politically speaking, a large focus on a less aggressive foreign policy and spending spree by the government. I want to see that more than I want to see just the fact that someone is also a Christian, or shares my values. In fact, if someone has a decent focus and understanding of what his job as president entails, I am pretty confident that he would not have a problem, with an occasional nudge ( I don’t like getting comfortable with my politicians), the traditional values which we hold dear.