Raised eyebrow, from Flickr user Lee J Haywood, used under a Creative Commons license

This piece will make some of you raise an eyebrow.

Discuss.

And no, Nancy, that photo is not of me!

About Charles Mitchell

EFM's resident Yankee, Charles Mitchell, works in the non-profit arena in his native Pennsylvania. He and his wife, Charissa, live near the state capital of Harrisburg with their daughter, Adeline, and are members of a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America.

10 Responses to “Mormon Problem” Overblown, Over?

1. Lynn says:

I find it quite sad that for Evangelicals to be comfortable voting for a Mormon that he must downplay his own testimony of Jesus Christ. He has a strong testimony of Jesus as his personal Savior and has lived his life according to that belief. But now you tell me he will drive other believers in Christ away from him if he openly testifies of it? Something about this is just wrong!

2. Mike G. says:

I started out writing a theology post but realized it would be counter productive. I do not believe that Romney has an “Evangelical” problem. And as the author pointed out, it was a small problem even during the primaries. I disagree that Romney needs to down play his faith at all. I think only a minority of evangelicals and other Christians would be bothered by a testimony of Christ as the Savior. He needs to not make religion the issue, which Romney has done an amazing job of doing. The Author seems to be tryin to create a problem. It’s silly. If you are concerned that you “have to accept Mormonism as a Christian religion” then you are missing the mark. If a man loves his wife and family and has ever been faithful to them; if he gives much to the poor; if he serves quietly in his community, seeking to help his fellow man and not to be seen of him are these things not Christ-like? Are these not what The Savior asked us to do? That’s what we ought to be looking for, a Christ-like individual. We can find people like that all through out denominations and religions. Yet Mitt does these things and confesses Jesus. Why should anyone be upset by that? Let The Lord worry about theology. We should put this all behind us and look for the Christ like men and woman that are waiting for our support.

3. Mike (Green Eyeshades) says:

Personally, I take exception with the author’s premise: “When Romney began his presidential run in 2007, he seemed to think that he needed to convince evangelical voters he was a Christian. He spoke of Jesus as his “personal savior,” an expression more characteristically evangelical than Mormon. He professed his faith in the Bible as “the word of God” without mentioning other Mormon scriptures.”

I suspect that Mr. John -Charles Duffy has never been in a LDS worship service or he would have heard numerous references to Jesus Christ as being a “personal savior” coming from many congregants. Also, in all the years I’ve been following Gov. Romney’s run, I never got the impression that he was trying to distance himself from his Mormon faith by coming across as more Evangelical. But let’s ask our Evangelical hosts on this blog, they are the experts. Nancy, David, or Charles did any of you get the impression early on that Gov. Romney was trying to portray himself as being more Evangelical at the expense of his own faith and if so, was it offensive to you?

4. Stan Brimley says:

In the context of evangelicals, “Christian” refers to Nicene Creed believing trinitarians. This member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is perfectly happy to not be included in that definition. I love them and am very glad to join with them politically, but I think their creeds are an “abomination”. I hope that they are no more offended by that than I am to be excluded by their definition of “Christian”. It may seem unfair that they have appropriated the term “Christian” to persons holding only to their definition, but they probably think we are unfair by reserving the highest kingdom of glory to those who enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage.
    On this earth, there are so many things we can agree on including abortion and traditional marriage. In politics it is vital that we join together on the moral value on which we agree and fight Satan’s influence however we can (no matter who he might be related to)

• JL Fuller says:

The context of the term “abomination” is in reference to the practice at the time of the creeds excluding others who did not accept their particular views. It is the excluding part of these creeds that was the abomination, not the fact that these creeds believed themselves to be exclusively Christian. There are other things too but as I recall the term abomination was found used in OT times as well.

5. Deg says:

I’ll be glad when this is all over… Evangelicals need to bring their act together, and do a much better job of being Christlike. I applaud the French, if it weren’t for them I would consider most evangelicals as anti-mormons. At least we have a reason to come together and join forces for good and this is something we should be doing more often.

Hopefully they will be more friendly interfaith experiences we can do on both sides of the aisle.

Some people think they have a lock on who can, and who cannot claim Christ as their personal savior. These gatekeepers need to crack open the good book and read. It’s open to ALL . Their form of PC, I guess, in their effort to isolate and destroy a target Alinsky style. It’s arrogant and ugly.

7. JL Fuller says:

The critical issue among traditional Christians is that Mormons are not Trintarians. Mormons say Trinitarianism is not biblical and was not taught by Christ, the apostles or the first century Church but is a tradition only. It was a compromise at Nicea and afterwards to bring the Greek Christians on board who held that the human body was evil and therefore God would not have one. That is just part of the story but it is an important one in the discussion. Most folks don’t get too far into the history of Christian theology and so allow themselves to be taught by folks who don’t know much of the details either. It is an interesting study.

8. Alma says:

I guess I have a problem with the statement that Mitt’s Mormonism was never his biggest problem. As I recall, during the 2008 campaign the subject of religion was never brought up by Mitt, at least not until he was all but forced to give his Faith in America speech. The subject was always brought up by people who either were legitimately concerned about voting for a Mormon, or people who just wanted to create controversy. I believe that Mitt has always tried to keep the topic oriented to political issues, not religious issues. So in the sense that people couldn’t get past his Mormonism enough to let his real message be heard, it was his biggest problem. Even if it was a minority of Evangelicals who took issue with it, they were vocal and effective in turning the topic. I think for the most part Mormons are happy to not be Evangelical, but when there are messages coming in loud and clear that people won’t vote for you because you are too different, you need to show that you really aren’t so different that you can’t be voted for. So you change your dialog, you change your terminology, in short you do and say things that will hopefully make people feel more comfortable with who you are, not so foreign. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough four years ago. Maybe this time will be different.